The McAfee® Secure Home Internet (SHI) protects client devices from malicious web sites using McAfee® GTI (Global Threat Intelligence). McAfee® SHI performs a check with McAfee® GTI on any IP-based client that connects to the SHI enabled router. McAfee® GTI flags potential malicious websites and provides a warning to prevent inadvertent browsing of those sites. This document describes how McAfee® SHI protects individual client devices from malicious sites.
What Happens When a Client Device Browses to a Malicious Site
NOTE: To test if a client device is being protected from malicious websites by McAfee® SHI, browse to www.pr0xy.org. This website is not malicious, but has been flagged by McAfee® GTI for testing purposes.
- The first client device that attempts to browse to a malicious site upon initial setup or after a factory reset will be redirected to the McAfee® Welcome page that includes messaging about Secure Home Internet. To continue to the site, it is required to select to keep McAfee® SHI active, or to disable McAfee® SHI.
NOTE: The McAfee® Welcome page can be ignored by browsing to a different site that is not flagged as malicious. McAfee® SHI will remain active and the McAfee® Welcome page will be presented the next time browsing to a malicious site.
- Keep McAfee® SHI active by clicking the Keep protecting me button. Doing so agrees to the Terms of Service and Policy Notice. The client device will be redirected to a Malicious Site Warning page informing of the risk. Any other client devices that attempt to browse to a malicious site will also be redirected to the block page.
- Disable McAfee® SHI by clicking on the I don't agree - disable Secure Home Internet link. The client device is directed to a McAfee® countdown page and will be directed to the intended website after the countdown timer is completed. This removes the McAfee® SHI protection from the home network and malicious sites can then be browsed by all client devices.
- When McAfee® SHI is enabled, a client device browsing to a malicious site will be directed to a Malicious Site Warning page warning of the risk. To bypass the warning and continue to the site, click on Continue to Site.
- If Continue to Site is selected, the browser will be redirected to the actual website.
WARNING: It is not recommended to continue to sites that have been flagged as potential attack sites by McAfee® GTI. Visiting these sites can exposes the client device to a higher risk of malware infection and data theft.
- When a client device is restricted by McAfee® Parental Controls and attempts to browse to a malicious site, it will be redirected to a Malicious Site Warning page without an option to continue to the site.