If Parental Controls have been configured using the McAfee® Secure Home Internet (SHI) app and do not behave as expected, troubleshooting may resolve the issue. There are several scenarios where the Parental Controls are not working as expected, and each scenario requires specific troubleshooting. This document provides steps for troubleshooting these scenarios.
Web sites not blocked when Parental Control categories applied
Devices able to access the Internet when the Internet is Paused
Internet is accessible outside allowed timesNOTE: For assistance with Parental Controls setup, please refer to Article # 17293 - McAfee® SHI (Android): Parental Controls Setup or Article # 17274 - McAfee® SHI (iOS): Parental Controls Setup.
General TroubleshootingThe following steps apply for all scenarios:
Web Sites Not Blocked When Parental Control Categories Are AppliedIf websites that are expected to be blocked are accessible, follow these steps:
- Make sure the device being used is connected to the SHI enabled router.
- Make sure the device being used is associated with a user's Kid Profile. If the device is not associated with a user's Kid profile, Parental Controls will not apply to the device.
Devices able to access the Internet when the Internet is PausedWhen Internet access is paused using Parental controls, if a device is still able to access the Internet, check the following:
- Make sure that the device being used is identified and associated with the specific kid profile. Web categories are set per kid profile, and the device may be associated with a kid profile that has categories allowed.
- Try blocking a different category. Some websites may be included in a different category than blocked. Select an allowed category that may include the site, and set that category to block.
- Try to re-block the website. If website access had been requested and allowed for the kid profile, that access is permanently stored on a white list. To re-block the website, the kid profile will need to be deleted and re-created.
Internet is Accessible Outside Allowed Times
- Make sure the device being used is identified and associated with a kid profile.
- Make sure that the device is connected to the SHI enabled router.
- Make sure the device being used is identified and associated with the specific user. Web Time is set per kid profile, and the device may be associated with a kid profile that has different times allowed.
- Verify correct times are set (AM/PM).
- Check for additional allowed times.
- Make sure that the Time Zone is properly set. To verify and change the time zone in McAfee® SHI:
- From the SHI Home screen, tap on the menu icon, or swipe left to access the menu.
- Tap on Settings.
- On the Settings screen, the current time zone will be displayed. If it is incorrect, tap on the pencil icon to change the time zone.
- Slide the menu up or down to find the correct time zone. Tap on the desired time zone. The setting will take effect immediately.