With the SB6141 cable modem, Internet connections can be made using an Ethernet cable. This document describes how to install the SB6141 to use an Ethernet connection.
Before beginning the installation, check that the following items were included with the Motorola SB6141 Cable Modem.
- Microsoft Windows, Macintosh, UNIX, or Linux operating system with the latest service packs and
patches must be installed on the computer.
- Pentium class or better processor installed on the computer.
- 10Base-T or 10/100Base-T Ethernet adapter with proper driver software installed on the computer.
NOTE: For assistance with TCP/IP setup, refer to following:
- 75-ohm coaxial cable with F-type connectors is required to connect the SB6141 to the nearest cable
- If a TV is connected to the cable outlet, 5 to 900 MHz RF splitter and two additional coaxial cables are
required to use both the TV and the SB6141
- Cable service must be activated with an Internet Service provider to access the Internet and other
To Install SB6141
- Connect one end of the coaxial cable to the cable outlet or splitter.
- Connect the other end of the coaxial cable to the cable connector on the SB6141. Hand-tighten the connectors to avoid damaging them.
- Plug the power cord into the power connector on the SB6141.
- Plug the power cord into the electrical outlet. This turns on the SB6141.
NOTE 1: Allow the gateway five to thirty minutes to find and lock on the appropriate communications channels after the gateway is on.
NOTE 2: The power cord does not need to be unplugged when the gateway is not in use.
- Connect one end of the Ethernet cable to the SB6141.
- Connect the other end of the Ethernet cable to the Ethernet port on the computer.