This document describes the installation process for the SB6183 Cable Modem.
Before beginning the installation, check that the following items were included with the SB6183 Cable Modem.
- Microsoft Windows, Macintosh, UNIX, or Linux operating system with the latest service packs and patches must be installed on the computer.
- Pentium class or better processor installed on the computer.
- 10/100/1000 Base-T Ethernet adapter with proper driver software installed on the computer.
- TCP/IP Setting is setup to Obtain IP Automatically on the computer.
- 75-ohm coaxial cable with F-type connectors is required to connect the SB6183 to the nearest cable outlet.If a TV is connected to the cable outlet, 5 to 900 MHz RF splitter and two additional coaxial cables are required to use both the TV and the SB6183.
- Cable service must be activated with an Internet Service provider to access the Internet and other online services.
- To avoid damaging the cable modem with static electricity, always first connect the coaxial cable to the grounded cable TV wall outlet.
- Before connecting or disconnecting the Ethernet cable from the cable modem or PC, always touch the coaxial cable connector on the cable modem to release any static charges.
- Postpone SB6183 installation until there is no risk of thunderstorm or lighting activity in the area.
- To avoid potential shock, always unplug the power cord from the wall outlet or other power source before disconnecting it from the SB6183 rear panel.
- To prevent overheating the SB6183, do not open the unit or block the ventilation holes on the sides of the unit.
- Wipe the cable modem with a clean, dry cloth. Never use cleaning fluid or similar chemicals. Do not spray cleaners directly on the unit or use forced air to remove dust.
To Install SB6183
- Connect one end of the coaxial cable to the cable outlet or splitter.
- Connect the other end of the coaxial cable to the cable connector on the SB6183. Hand-tighten the connectors to avoid damaging them.
- Plug the power cord into the power connector on the SB6183.
- Plug the power cord into the electrical outlet. This turns on the SB6183.
NOTE 1: Allow the modem five to thirty minutes to find and lock on the appropriate communications channels after the modem is on.
NOTE 2: The power cord does not need to be unplugged when the modem is not in use.
- Connect one end of the Ethernet cable to the Ethernet port on the SB6183.
- Connect the other end of the Ethernet cable to the computer.