This document describes the basic installation process for the SB6183 cable modem.
Before beginning the installation, check that the following items were included with the SB6183 cable modem:
- Power Supply
- Software License & Regulatory Card
- Quick Start Guide
Additional Item Needed (Not Included)
- Coaxial (coax) cable, if one is not already connected to a cable wall outlet.
- RF splitter (for additional coaxial cable connections, such as a set-top box or Smart TV)
- Ethernet cable for each additional Ethernet-enabled device
- High-speed Internet access account
- Web browser access - Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Firefox, or Safari
- Compatible operating systems:
- Windows 10
- Windows 8, 8.1
- Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1)
NOTE: Although older versions of Microsoft Windows operating systems are no longer specifically supported, they should still function with the SB6183 cable modem.
- Macintosh 10.4 and higher
Install the SB6183
- Connect the coaxial cable to a cable wall outlet (if not connected) and the Cable connector on the rear of the SB6183 cable modem. Hand-tighten the connectors to avoid damaging them.
- Connect the Ethernet cable to the Ethernet port on the computer or router and to the Ethernet port on the back of the SB6183 cable modem.
NOTE: A typical setup for Internet access consist of connecting one computer or a Wi-Fi router directly to the cable modem. Connecting a Wi-Fi router to the SB6183 is recommended when there are multiple client devices in the home network.
- Connect the power supply to the Power port on the rear of the SB6183 cable modem and then plug it into an electrical wall outlet that is not controlled by a wall switch.
NOTE: This automatically powers ON the SB6183 cable modem.
- Check for the solid LED on the front panel of the SB6183 cable modem. The LED will flash during the initial startup.
|LED Icon||Blinking||On (Solid)|
|Not applicable - icon does not blink,||Green: Power is properly connected.|
|Scanning for a downstream (receive) channel connection.||Green: Non-bonded downstream channel is connected.|
Blue*: High-speed Internet connection with bonded downstream channels.
|Scanning for an upstream (send) channel connection.||Green: Non-bonded upstream channel is connected.|
Blue*: High-speed Internet connection with bonded upstream channels.
|Scanning for an Internet connection.||Green: Startup process completed.|
|Blue*: Indicates DOCSIS 3.0 operations (high-speed Internet access) which may not be available in all locations. Check with the service provider for availability in the area.|
- Power on computer and login.
- Launch a web browser, such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Safari. Enter www.surfboard.com into the address box and press the Enter key. The service provider’s self-activation page may appear to register the SB6183.
NOTE: If the self-activation is unsuccessful, gather the HFC MAC Address labeled as HFC MAC ID and the Serial number (S/N) listed on the bottom label of the modem and contact the service provider to activate the SB6183.