When installing the SB8200 for the first time, ensure that you have all the necessary hardware and meet the system requirements outlined below. This document describes the installation process for the SB8200 Cable Modem.
Before beginning the installation, check that the following items were included with the SB8200 cable modem:
- Power Supply
- Ethernet Cable
- Software License & Regulatory Card
- Support Information Card
- Quick Start Guide
- High-speed Internet access account
- Web browser access - Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Firefox, or Safari
- Compatible operating systems:
- Windows 10
- Windows 8
- Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1)
NOTE: Although older versions of Microsoft Windows operating systems are no longer specifically supported, they should still function with the SB8200 cable modem.
- Macintosh 10.4 and higher
Additional Item Needed (Not Included)
Install the SB8200 Cable Modem
- Coaxial (coax) cable, if one is not already connected to a cable wall outlet.
- Connect the coaxial cable to a cable wall outlet (if not connected) and the Cable connector on the rear of the SB8200 cable modem. Hand-tighten the connectors to avoid damaging them.
- Connect the Ethernet cable to the Ethernet port on the computer or router and to the Ethernet port 1 on the back of the SB8200 cable modem.
NOTE 1: A typical setup for Internet access consist of connecting one computer or a Wi-Fi router directly to the cable modem. Connecting a Wi-Fi router to the SB8200 is recommended when there are multiple client devices in the home network.
NOTE 2: It is possible to connect two devices to the SB8200. However, the cable provider must provide Internet IP Address to each device for Internet access. If both devices cannot connect to the Internet, contact the cable provider to request an additional Internet IP address.
- Connect the power cord to the Power port on the rear of the SB8200 cable modem and then plug it into an electrical wall outlet that is not controlled by a wall switch.
NOTE: This automatically powers ON the SB8200 cable modem. There may be up to one minute delay for the Power LED on the SB8200 cable modem front panel to light up after the power is connected.
- Check for solid 4 LEDs on the front panel of the SB8200 cable modem. The Power, Receive, Send, and Online LEDs flash during the initial startup.
|Not applicable - icon does not flash.||Green: Power is properly connected.|
There may be up to one minute delay for the Power LED to light up after the power is connected.
|Scanning for a downstream (receive) channel Internet connection.||Green: Downstream channel is connected in DOCSIS 3.0 mode.|
Blue*: High-speed Internet connection with downstream channels in DOCSIS 3.1 mode.
|Scanning for an upstream (send) channel Internet connection. ||Green: Upstream channel is connected in DOCSIS 3.0 mode.|
Blue*: High-speed Internet connection with upstream channels in DOCSIS 3.1 mode.
|Scanning for an Internet connection.||Green: Cable modem is connected to the Internet.|
|*Blue - Indicates DOCSIS 3.1 operation (high-speed Internet access) which may not be available in all location. Check with your service provider for availability in your area. |
- Power on computer and login.
- Launch a web browser, such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Safari. Enter www.surfboard.com into the address box and press the Enter key. The ARRIS website should open.
NOTE: Some service provider may allow automatic activation which will automatically launch a special website when the browser is open. If the self-activation is unsuccessful, gather the Media Access Control (MAC) address (HFC MAC ID) and the Serial number (S/N) listed on the bottom label of the modem and contact the service provider to activate the modem.