The Link Aggregation Control feature, available on firmware version 200.174F and later, combines the two wired connections between the SB8200 and a Link Aggregation capable router to achieve Internet speed up to 2 Gbps. If used with Internet speeds above 1 Gbps the SB8200 can provide Ethernet redundancy in case one of the wired connection fails. If one Ethernet connection fails, the other Ethernet connection will only provide Internet speeds of up to 1 Gbps.
CAUTION: Performance is degraded on client devices when Link Aggregation is enabled only on the SB8200. Link Aggregation must be enabled on both the SB8200 and Wi-Fi router.
- Greater than 1 Gigabit Internet Plan
- 2 Ethernet connections
- Enable Link Aggregation in the SB8200
- Enable Link Aggregation in the Wi-Fi router
This document contains the following sections:
Ethernet Installation for Link Aggregation
- Connect the Ethernet cable to the WAN Ethernet port on the Wi-Fi router and to Ethernet port 1 on the back of the SB8200 cable modem.
- Connect a second Ethernet cable to the Link Aggregation Ethernet port on the Wi-Fi router and to Ethernet port 2 on the back of the SB8200 cable modem.
Enable Link Aggregation
NOTE: If the SB8200 is connected to a router, it is recommended to disconnect the router and connect the SB8200 directly to a computer with an Ethernet cable.
- Launch a web browser, such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Safari. Enter http://192.168.100.1 into the address box and press the Enter key. The Login page will appear.
NOTE 1: A security or private risk alert may appear on the web browser advising users to proceed with caution when accessing the Web Manager. There is no risk in proceeding to the Web Manager. For instructions to by-pass the alert screen, refer to article # 18181 - Alert Message for Web Manager Access.
NOTE 2: The admin login is not available on firmware version prior to 1.01.009.47 and the Connection page will appear.
- On the Login page, enter admin in the Username field.
- Enter password or the last 8 digit of the serial number located on the bottom white sticker in the Password field.
- Click the Login button. The Connection page will appear.
- Click the Advanced link on the main menu. The Link Aggregation Configuration page will appear.
- Check mark the Enable LAG box, then click the Apply/Save button. The pop-up box will appear.
- Click the OK button to reboot the SB8200.
- Enable Link Aggregation on the Wi-Fi router.