This document describes the basic installation process for the SBG10 Gateway.
Before beginning the installation, check that the following items were included with the SBG10 Gateway:
- Power Supply
- Ethernet Cable
- Software License & Regulatory Card
- Support Information Card
- Quick Start Guide
- High-speed Internet access account
- Web browser access - Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Firefox, or Safari
- Compatible operating systems:
- Windows 10
- Windows 8, 8.1
- Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1)
NOTE: Although older versions of Microsoft Windows operating systems are no longer specifically supported, they should still function with the SBG10.
- Macintosh 10.4 and higher
Additional Item Needed (Not Included)
- Coaxial (coax) cable, if one is not already connected to a cable wall outlet.
Install the SBG10
- Connect the coaxial cable to a cable wall outlet (if not connected) and the Cable connector on the rear of the SBG10. Hand-tighten the connectors to avoid damaging them.
- Connect the Ethernet cable to the Ethernet port on the computer and to the Ethernet port on the rear of the SBG10.
- Connect the power cord to the Power port on the rear of the SBG10 and then plug it into an electrical wall outlet that is not controlled by a wall switch.
NOTE: This automatically powers ON the SBG10. There may be up to a 15 sec delay for the Power LED on the SBG10 front panel to light up after the power is connected.
- Check for solid 5 LEDs on the front panel of the SBG10 gateway. The Send/Receive and Online LEDs flash during the initial startup.
|LED Icon||Blinking Green||On (Solid Green)|
|Power||Not applicable - icon does not blink.||Power is properly connected.|
|Send/Receive||Scanning for upstream (Send) and|
downstream (Receive) channel
|Upstream (Send) and Downstream|
(Receive) channels are connected.
|Online||Scanning for an Internet connection.||Wi-Fi cable modem is connected to the network.|
|2.4 GHz Wireless||Wi-Fi enabled with encrypted or unencrypted wireless data activity.||2.4 GHz Wi-Fi connection is made between the SBG10 and another Wi-Fi enabled device on your home network; for example Wi-Fi telephone, tablet, or laptop.|
|5 GHz Wireless ||Wi-Fi enabled with encrypted or unencrypted wireless data activity.||5 GHz Wi-Fi connection is made between the SBG10 and another Wi-Fi enabled device on your home network; for example Wi-Fi telephone, tablet, or laptop.|
- Power on the computer and login.
- Launch a web browser, such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Safari. Enter www.surfboard.com into the address box and press the Enter key. The ARRIS website should open.
NOTE: Some service providers may allow automatic activation which will automatically launch a special website when the browser is open. If the self-activation is unsuccessful, gather the Media Access Control (MAC) address (HFC MAC ID) and the Serial number (S/N) listed on the bottom label of the gateway and contact the service provider to activate the gateway.