The trace route troubleshooting tool is used to map the network path from the SBG10 to a remote device on the Internet. This can be useful when a device fails the ping test. If the device can be accessed, the trace route tool will display every hop taken to get to the destination. If it cannot be accessed, the SBG10 will display the last hop taken before the connection terminated. This is useful to pinpoint the location of a connectivity issue. This document describes how to use the trace route tool.
Trace Route Tool
Launch a web browser, such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Safari. Enter http://192.168.0.1 into the address box, and press the Enter key. The Login page will appear.
NOTE: A security or private risk alert may appear on the web browser advising users to proceed with caution when accessing the Web Manager. There is no risk in proceeding to the Web Manager. For instructions to by-pass the alert screen, refer to article # 18181 - Alert Message for Web Manager Access.
On the Login page, enter admin in the User Name field.
Enter password or a customized password in the Password field.
NOTE: When using the default password to login, it may be required to set a unique password to proceed to the Web Manager. For assistance with Web Manager Access, refer to article # 18249 – SBG10: Web Manager Access.
- Click the Apply button. The System Basic Setup page will appear.
- On the System Basic Setup page, click the Utilities link on the top menu. The System Information page will appear.
- On the System Information page, click the Trace Route link on the left-hand menu. The Trace Route page will appear.
- On the Trace Route page, enter the IP address or Host Name of the destination in the Trace Target field.
- Leave the Max Hops field at default 30, the maximum number that the Trace Route operation performs before stopping.
- Leave the Time Out field at default 1, the time in seconds for time out.
- Click the Start Test button. The results will populate in the Results box.
NOTE: Click the Stop Test button to stop the test early. To clear the results click the Clear Results button