When using a wireless connection, interference may occur. One variable may include other Wireless Access Points within the surrounding area using the same wireless channel. In order to mitigate wireless interference, change the Wi-Fi band channel in the SBG6580-2 by using the Scan Wireless AP tool to select the best available Wi-Fi channel. By default, the SBG6580-2 is set at 36 channel. This document describes how to change the 5 GHz Wi-Fi channel band.
Changing the 5 GHz Wi-Fi Band Channel
- Launch a web browser, such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Safari. Enter http://192.168.0.1 into the address box, and press the Enter key. The Login page will appear.
NOTE: A security or private risk alert may appear on the web browser advising users to proceed with caution when accessing the Web Manager. There is no risk in proceeding to the Web Manager. For instructions to by-pass the alert screen, refer to article # 18181 - Alert Message for Web Manager Access.
- On the Login page, enter admin or a customized username in the Username field.
- Enter password or a customized password in the Password field.
NOTE: On later versions of the SBG6580-2, the Wi-Fi Security Key is used as the default admin password printed on the bottom while label. For assistance with Web Manager Access, refer to article # 18752 – SBG6580-2: Web Manager Access.
- Click the Login button. The Home page will appear.
- Move the mouse-cursor over Wireless on the main menu and click the 802.11 Radio link on the sub-menu. The 802.11 Radio page will appear.
- On the 802.11 Radio page, click the 5 GHz option for Band Selection.
- The pop-up window will appear, click the OK button.
- Click the Apply button.
- Click the Scan Wireless APs button. Nearby Wireless Access Points pop-up will appear.
NOTE: Pressing the Scan Wireless APs button executes the tool and will pop-up another window displaying the scan results. Be sure to disable Pop-up blocker on the browser to allow the tool to work.
- On the Nearby Wireless Access Points pop-up window, determine which channel would be the best to use by verifying which channel is used the least or not used at all.
NOTE: In the example below Channel 36 is highly used, while Channel 157 is moderately used. The best channel available is Channel 40 or channels not in use.
- Once the channel has been determined, close the Pop-up window.
- Leave the default setting of 20 MHz on the Bandwidth drop-down menu to increase the amount of data that the Wi-Fi network can carry.
NOTE: Sideband setting is only available when the Bandwidth is set to 40 MHz.
|40 MHz||Lower||36, 44, 149, 157|
|40 MHz||Upper||40, 48, 153, 161|
|20 MHz||N/A||36, 40, 44, 48, 149, 153, 157, 161, 165|
- Select a channel from the Channel drop-down menu other than what is displayed as Current.
- Click the Apply button.
NOTE: The connected Wi-Fi clients will temporary lose Internet connection and will reconnect.