The DMZ Host feature allows the option to run a publicly accessible server within the home network. This enables the SBG6580-2 to forward all traffic to the designated DMZ Host device such as Web Server, Mail Server, Digital Video Recorder (DVR) or gaming device. That designated DMZ Host device will operate outside of the SBG6580-2 firewall and allow remote access from the Internet and not the home network. This document describes how to gather the client IP address and setup DMZ Host in the SBG6580-2.
CAUTION: The designated DMZ Host device is not protected by the SBG6580-2 firewall. It is exposed to the Internet and thus vulnerable to attacks or hacking from any computer on the Internet. Consider carefully before configuring a device to be in the DMZ. It is recommended to enable software firewall on that device or use a more secure method of forwarding traffic such as Port Forwarding. Please refer to Answer # 16769 - SBG6580-2: Port Forwarding Setup.
The following are examples of scenarios in which DMZ Host is useful:
After completing the DMZ Host setup, it is recommended to reserve the IP address for the client device setup for port forwarding. Please refer to Article # 16767 SBG6580-2: IP Address Reserve Setup.
- When the port number or protocol in an in-bound application cannot be anticipated. For example, some network games select arbitrary port numbers when a connection is opened.
- When all unsolicited traffic needs to be forwarded to a specific device in the network.
- When an application does not work well with port triggering or port forwarding.
The client device IP Address is require to setup DMZ Host. It can be found in the SBG6580-2 Web Manager or from the client device's network information.
DMZ Host Setup
- Launch a web browser, such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Safari. Enter http://192.168.0.1 into the address box, and press the Enter key. The Login page will appear.
- On the Login page, enter admin in the Username field.
- Enter type password in the Password field.
- Click the Login button. The Home page will appear.
- Move the mouse-cursor over Basic on the main menu and click the DHCP link on the sub-menu. The Basic - DHCP page will appear.
- On the Basic - DHCP page, locate and copy the client's IP Address under the Client List section to use for DMZ Setup.
- Move the mouse-cursor over Advanced on the main menu, and click the DMZ Host link on the sub-menu. The Advanced - DMZ Host page will appear.
- On the Advanced - DMZ Host page, enter the IP Address of the device in the DMZ Host field. For example: if the IP address of the server is 192.168.0.3, then enter 3.
NOTE: Enter 0 to disable DMZ Host.
- Click the Apply button. A restart is not required, as the settings will immediately go into effect.