The SBG6580-2 MAC Filtering feature allows devices to be blocked from accessing the Internet based on their MAC addresses. When a devices MAC address is added to the MAC Filter list, the device will still receive an IP address and have LAN access to the SBG6580-2. Up to 20 MAC addresses can be entered to the MAC Filter list. This document describes how to setup MAC Filtering.
The client's MAC Address is require for MAC Address Filtering setup. It can be found in the SBG6580-2 Web Manager or from the client device's network information.
MAC Filtering Setup
- Launch a web browser, such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Safari. Enter http://192.168.0.1 into the address box, and press the Enter key. The Login page will appear.
NOTE: A security or private risk alert may appear on the web browser advising users to proceed with caution when accessing the Web Manager. There is no risk in proceeding to the Web Manager. For instructions to by-pass the alert screen, refer to article # 18181 - Alert Message for Web Manager Access.
- On the Login page, enter admin or a customized username in the Username field.
- Enter password or a customized password in the Password field.
NOTE: On later versions of the SBG6580-2, the Wi-Fi Security Key is used as the default admin password printed on the bottom while label. For assistance with Web Manager Access, refer to article # 18752 – SBG6580-2: Web Manager Access.
- Click the Login button. The Home page will appear.
- Move the mouse-cursor over Basic on the main menu and click the DHCP link on the sub-menu. The Basic - DHCP page will appear.
- On the Basic - DHCP page, locate and copy the client's MAC Address under the Client List section to use for MAC Filtering Setup.
- Move the mouse-cursor over Advanced on the main menu and click the MAC Filtering link on the sub-menu. The Advanced - MAC Filtering page will appear.
- Under the MAC Filters section, enter the MAC address into Add MAC Address field.
- Click the Add MAC Address button.
- Repeat steps 8 - 9 to add additional MAC addresses.
NOTE: Up to 20 MAC addresses can be added.