By default, the SBG6580 is setup to use WPA wireless security with the Wi-Fi security key (sometimes referred to as the wireless password). The Wi-Fi Security key's string of character would need to be entered into a wireless client (such as a laptop or tablet) in order to have wireless connectivity.
At times, it may be desired to change the wireless key. This can be accomplished by logging into the Web Manager of the SBG6580. This document describes how to change the Wi-Fi security key.
NOTE: The SBG6580 is configured by default with a WPA wireless security. To support legacy wireless devices using WEP wireless security please refer to the article # 6447 - SBG6580: WEP Wireless Setup (Primary Network).
To Change the Wi-Fi Security Key
- Launch a web browser, such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Safari. Enter http://192.168.0.1 into the address box.
NOTE: By default the LAN IP address is 192.168.0.1. If the default address has been changed, enter the custom address in the address box.
- Enter admin in the Username field
- Enter motorola in the Password field.
- Click the Login button. The Status page appears.
- Click the Wireless link on top of the screen.
- Click the Primary Network button on the left-hand menu. The Primary Network page appears.
- On the 802.11 Primary Network page, locate the WPA Pre-Shared Key (as shown below).
NOTE 1: If the WPA Pre-Shared Key appears as dots, then check the Show Key below it to reveal the key.
NOTE 2: If the WPA Pre-Shared Key is greyed out, skip down to the To Change the WEP Key section of this document.
- For the WPA Pre-Shared Key, enter a new key to use. The WPA key must be 8 - 63 characters. In the example below, the key has been changed to motorola.
- Click the Apply button.
NOTE: A restart is not required, as the settings immediately take effect.
To make a wireless connection, enter the same WPA key into the wireless client: