When using a wireless connection, interference may occur. One variable may include other Wireless Access Points within the surrounding area. If those Wireless Access Points are using the same wireless channel, this may cause interference. When experiencing wireless interference when other wireless access points are present in the surrounding area, changing the wireless channel within the SBG6580 gateway can improve connectivity. By default, the SBG6580 is set at channel 1. This document describes how to change the wireless channel in the SBG6580 gateway.
To Change the Wireless Channel
- Launch a web browser, such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Safari. Enter http://192.168.0.1 into the address box.
NOTE: By default the LAN IP address is 192.168.0.1. If the default address has been changed, enter the custom address in the address box.
- Enter admin in the Username field.
- Enter motorola in the Password field.
- Click the Login button. The Status page appears.
- Click the Wireless link on top of the screen. The Wireless 802.11 Radio Page appears.
- On the Wireless 802.11 Radio Page:
a. Control Channel - Try a different channel than what is displayed as Current.
NOTE 1: It is recommended to try channel 6 or 11, if it's not listed as Current.
NOTE 2: In the Wi-Fi spectrum, there are multiple channels that overlap and degrade performance. Because channels 1, 6, and 11 do not overlap, they are used for better performance and stability.
b. Click the Apply button.