In some cases the SBG6580 gateway may need to be reset to its factory default state, and clear all of the previous settings. If the gateway's LAN IP address or admin password is lost, the only option is to press the Reset switch. The gateway can be reset back to the factory default by logging in the web interface. This document describes how to reset the SBG6580 to factory defaults with the reset switch, or within the GUI (Graphical User Interface).
CAUTION: This process will clear all configurations and should be use as the last resort. Performing a Factory Reset will erase any configuration changes that have been made and requires the gateway to be reconfigured for Internet access.
NOTE: Resetting the cable modem may take 5 to 30 minutes.
Factory Reset With The Reset Switch
- Carefully insert the tip of a pen or an unwound paperclip into the reset switch and press on to it.
- Hold down the Reset switch for 5 -10 seconds and release it.
NOTE: To assure the gateway factory defaults, hold the reset switch for 5 -10 seconds. The indicators are that all LEDs turn off.
Factory Reset in the Web Interface
Launch a web browser, such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Safari. Enter http://192.168.0.1 into the address box.
NOTE: By default the LAN IP address is 192.168.0.1. If the default address has been changed, enter the custom address in the address box.
- Enter admin in the Username field.
- Enter motorola in the Password field.
- Click the Login button. The Status Connection page appears.
- Click the Security link on the left hand column, the Status Security page appears.
- Restore Factory Default - Select Yes, to factory default the gateway.
- Click the Apply button to save changes.