The SBG6580 includes configuration options for WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy) encryption, which is used to secure network data transmitted over the wireless (Wi-Fi) connection. Depending on the capability of the client wireless card, 40-bit or 128-bit WEP Encryption can be enabled for IP traffic on the LAN. There are two types of setup for WEP: WEP Automatic or WEP Manual.
- WEP Automatic is used to automatically generate a WEP encryption key in the SBG6580 by entering a passphrase. The passphrase can be any string of words or numbers.
- WEP Manual is used to manually configure a WEP encryption key.
This document describes how to configure the Primary Network to use WEP wireless encryption.
NOTE: By default, the Primary Network is enabled, and uses WPA-PSK encryption.
Launch a web browser, such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Safari. Enter http://192.168.0.1 into the address box.
NOTE: By default the LAN IP address is 192.168.0.1. If the default address has been changed, enter the custom address in the address box.
- Enter admin in the Username field.
- Enter motorola in the Password field.
- Click the Login button. The Status Connection page appears.
- Click the Wireless link on the top menu. The Wireless 802.11 Radio page appears.
- On the Wireless 802.11 Radio page:
a. 802.11 n-mode - Click on the drop down menu, and select Off.
b. Click the Apply button.
- Click the Primary Network button on the left-hand menu. The 802.11 Primary Network page appears.
- On the 802.11 Primary Network page:
a. Primary Network - Click on the drop-down menu, and select Enabled.
b. Network Name (SSID) - Change this setting to the desired name, or leave at the current setting.
c. WPA-PSK - Click on the drop-down menu, and select Disabled.
d. WPA2-PSK - Click on the drop-down menu, and select Disabled.
d. WEP Encryption - Click on the drop-down menu, and select WEP (64-bit) or WEP (128-bit) The longer the key, the stronger the encryption and
the more difficult it is to break the encryption.
Option 1 to Configure for WEP (Automatic)
- PassPhrase - Enter a passphrase in the field and click the Generate WEP Keys button.
NOTE: The passphrase can be up to 22 characters.
- Network Key 1: - Copy this key, as it will be needed for the wireless client(s) to connect.
NOTE: Do not use the passphrase on the wireless clients. Only use the Encryption Key that is generated from the passphrase.
- Click the Apply button.
Option 2 to Configure for WEP (Manual)
- Network Key 1 - Enter the desired key. For 64-bit encryption, enter 10 digits. For 128-bit encryption, enter 26 digits.
NOTE 1: Network Key 1 is the default key to use.
NOTE 2: WEP keys use hexadecimal characters, which are 0 - 9 and A - F. For best security, it is recommended to avoid the use of all the same characters.
64 bit: 02468ACE02
128 bit: 0123456789ABCDEF0123456789
- Click the Apply button.
The SBG6580 is now configured to allow wireless client connections using WEP encryption.
To make a connection, the wireless client must have WEP encryption enabled and have the same WEP encryption key as the Motorola Wireless Gateway. For assistance with the wireless client,