NOTE 1: This document applies to software version SBG6580-18.104.22.168-GA-01-477-NOSH and later.
NOTE 2: For assistance in determining the firmware version, refer to answer # 22214 - SBG6580: Locating the Software Version.
The SBG6580 Parental Control feature provides the ability to control access to Internet content based on keywords, domain names and/or day and time. Users can be associated with policies to allow or block specific URLs or prevent access to sites containing keywords. Access is controlled by password.
Configuration of Parental Control is comprised of these general steps:
Time Access Policy Description
The SBG6580 Time Access Policy provides the ability to block Internet traffic to and from specified devices on the LAN (Local Area Network), based on the day and time settings, policies can be set to block Internet traffic for just a certain time period or the entire day for specific users. They can also be configured to only block a specific port(s). The maximum number of 30 Time Access Policies can be added with different time settings.
By default, Parental Control is not enabled. This document describes how to setup a Parental Control Time of Day Access Policy.
To Configure Time of Day Access Policy
Launch a web browser, such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Safari. Enter http://192.168.0.1 into the address box.
NOTE: By default the LAN IP address is 192.168.0.1. If the default address has been changed, enter the custom address in the address box.
- Enter admin in the Username field.
- Enter motorola in the Password field.
- Click the Login button. The Status Connection page appears.
- Click the Parental Control link on top of the screen. The Parental Control Basic Setup page appears.
- Click the ToD Filter link on the left hand column. The Parental Control Time of Day Access Policy page appears.
- Time Access Policy Configuration - Enter a descriptive name for a new policy, and click the Apply button.
- Time Access Policy List - Select the policy name from the drop-down tab, check the enable box.
NOTE 1: To disable the filter, select the policy name from the drop-down tab and uncheck the Enabled box.
NOTE 2: To remove an filter, select the policy name from the drop-down tab and click the Remove button.
- Days to Block - Check the box for the days to block Internet access.
- Time to Block - Check the box to block access All day.
NOTE: If you do not want to block All day, proceed to step 11. Otherwise, click the Apply button to save changes.
- Start - Enter a start time to block Internet access.
- End - Enter a end time to stop blocking Internet access.
- Ports to Block (optional):
a. Enabled - If it is desired to block a port(s), check this box.
b. Port Start - Enter the desired port number to block.
c. Port End - Re-enter the desired port number.
d. Protocol - Click on the drop-down menu and select the appropriate protocol (TCP, UDP, or Both).
NOTE: If it is desired to block a range of ports, enter the first number of the range for Port Start, and the last number of the range for Port End.
- Click the Apply button to save changes.
To Apply the Time Access Rule
- Click the User Setup link in the left hand column. The Parental Control User Setup page appears.
- On the The Parental Control User Setup page:
a. User Setting - From the drop-down list, select the User to modify access restriction and checkmark the Enable box.
b. Time Access Rule - Select the appropriate Time of Day access policy from the list.
c. Click the Apply button to activate and save changes.
To Enable Parental Control
- Click the Basic link in the left hand column. The Parental Control Basic Setup page appears.
- In the Parental Control Basic Setup page:
a. Parental Control Activation - Checkmark Enable Parental Control box.
b. Click the Apply button to save changes.