The WPS (Wireless Protected Setup) feature allows wireless clients and the SBG6700-AC to establish a wireless connection with a push of a button or by exchanging pin code. WPS and WPA-PSK (Wireless Protected Access) wireless encryption are enabled by default in the SBG6700-AC. WPS automatically generates a new strong WPA key for the Gateway and any WPS client devices on the wireless network. The SBG6700-AC supports two types of WPS: PIN Entry and PBC (Push Button Connection). This document provides information on:
- Enabling WPS PBC in the SBG6700-AC
- Establishing WPS PBC connection
- Verifying WPS connection
NOTE 1: By default, WPS will only connect a wireless client to the 2.4 GHz wireless network, which is sufficient for most setups.
NOTE 2: The wireless clients must meet the following requirements for a WPS connection
- Wireless client must support WPS
- The client's WPS must support hardware or software Push-button
NOTE 1: Not all client wireless devices support WPS. Please refer to the wireless client's documentation.
NOTE 2: Older, non-WPS clients can still be added to the network by configuring them with WEP or WPA-PSK.
To Enable WPS PBC
- Launch a web browser, such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Safari. Enter http://192.168.0.1 into the address box, and press the Enter key. The Login page will appear.
NOTE: A security or private risk alert may appear on the web browser advising users to proceed with caution when accessing the Web Manager. There is no risk in proceeding to the Web Manager. For instructions to by-pass the alert screen, refer to article # 18181 - Alert Message for Web Manager Access.
- On the Login page:
a. Enter admin in the Username field.
b. Enter password in the Password field.
c. Click the Login button. The Home page will appear.
- On the Home page, click on Manage Wi-Fi Network. The Wireless - Primary Network Settings page appears.
- On the Wireless - Primary Network Settings page:
a. WPS - Choose and select Enable.
b. Click the Apply button.
NOTE: The settings will take effect immediately. Restarting the gateway is not required.
To Establish WPS Push-button Connection
- Push and hold down the Pairing Button on the front panel of the SBG6700-AC for 10 seconds to begin exchange.
NOTE: Both of the Wireless LED lights on the front panel will flash Amber color.
- Push the wireless client's WPS Push-button (PBC).
NOTE: The exchange may last up to two minutes.
To Verify WPS Push-button Connection
- Check the status on the wireless client WiFi utility.
- Check the Wireless status light on the front panel of the SBG6700-AC. It will display a Solid Green light when WPS is connected.