The SBG6900-AC also allows for a wireless guest network (in addition to a wireless primary network). The guest network provides access to the Internet, but prevents devices from communicating with primary wireless and wired connected client devices. The guest network also includes UPnP and Firewall functionality.
The SBG6900-AC supports 2.4GHz and 5.0 GHz Wi-Fi frequencies simultaneously. Each frequency has it's own SSID (Service Set Identification), which is the name given to the wireless network of the SBG6900-AC. The 2.4 GHz frequency supports 802.11 b/g/n wireless clients, while the 5.0 GHz frequency supports 802.11n wireless clients only. 802.11n devices will generally perform better in the 5GHz range.
The Guest Network is disabled by default. This document describes how to enable the guest network, and how to configure the guest network without wireless security.
WARNING: With this setup, the wireless functionality of the SBG6900-AC will provide no encryption for the wireless guest network.
To Setup Guest Network Unsecured Wireless
- Launch a web browser, such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Safari. Enter http://192.168.0.1 into the address box, and press the Enter key. The Login page appears.
NOTE: By default the LAN IP address is 192.168.0.1. If the default address has been changed, enter the custom address in the address box.
- On the Login page, enter admin in the Username field.
- Enter password in the Password field.
- Click the Login button. The Home page appears.
- On the Home page, click on Manage Guest Network. The Wireless - Guest Network page appears.
- On the Wireless - Guest Network page, select the desired frequency tab to modify (2.4 GHz or 5 GHz).
NOTE 1: Choosing the Wireless Interface only determines which frequency settings are desired to be modified. The 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequencies are already enabled simultaneously by default.
NOTE 2: The 2.4 GHz frequency supports 802.11 b/g/n wireless clients, while the 5.0 GHz frequency supports 802.11n wireless clients only. 802.11n devices will generally perform better in the 5GHz range.
NOTE 3: In this example, the 2.4 GHz frequency has been selected to modify.
- Guest Network - Click the drop-down tab and select Enabled.
- Guest Network Name (SSID) - Change this setting to the desired name, or leave at the current setting.
- Wireless Security - Click the drop-down tab and select Unencrypted.
- Click the Apply button.
NOTE: The settings will take effect immediately, as restarting the gateway is not required.
The SBG6900-AC is now configured to allow wireless connectivity without wireless encryption. For assistance with the wireless client: