The SBG8300 Parental Control feature provides the ability to restrict access to specific Internet services or applications by blocking the port(s) number the application or Internet service uses. These Internet services or applications are blocked on all devices connected to the home network during a specified time of day. Client devices can be added as a Trusted Computers to be excluded from Parental Control. The Parental Control feature also uses the Router Time located within Gateway - Time Settings of the Web Manager. By default, Parental Control is disabled with no restrictions, which allows access to services and applications on devices at all times. This document describes how to block devices from accessing a specific service or application on the Internet.
NOTE: Enabling Trusted Computers is optional. This option allows the client device to not be affected by Parental Controls settings.Block Service or Application Access
- The port number(s) and protocol (TCP and/or UDP) of the application or Internet services
- Launch a web browser, such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Safari. Enter http://192.168.0.1 into the address box, and press the Enter key. The https:// Redirect page will appear.
- The SURFboard Web Manager is begin redirected to a more secure connection, click the Proceed button to continue. The Gateway > Login page will appear.
- A security or private risk alert may appear on the web browser advising users to proceed with caution when accessing the Web Manager. There is no risk in proceeding to the Web Manager. For instructions to by-pass the alert screen, refer to article # 18181 - Alert Message for Web Manager Access.
NOTE: The Home Network Wizard will appear if this is the first time accessing the Web Manager. For assistance with the wizard, refer to article # 17969 - SBG8300: Web Manager First Time Login.
- Enter admin in the Username field and enter the custom password in the Password field.
NOTE: If the Login page prompts for email address and password. Log into the Web Manager with the email and password used when setting up the SURFboard Manager app with the SBG8300.
- Click the Login button. The Gateway > Summary page will appear.
- On the left hand-menu, click the Parental Control link. The Parental Control > Managed Sites page will appear.
- Click the Managed services sub-menu link. The Parental Control > Managed Services page will appear.
- Click the Enable button for the Manage Services option.
- Click the +Add button for Blocked Services. The Parental Control > Managed Services > Add Blocked Service page will appear.
- Under the Add Service to be Blocked section, enter the name of the service or application in the User Defined Service field.
- Click on the Protocol drop-down menu, and select TCP/UDP.
- Enter the port number that is associated with the service or application to restrict in the Start Port field.
- Enter the same port number to restrict in the End Port field.
NOTE: When blocking a range of ports, enter the start and end of the port range in the two fields.
- Click the No button for the Always Block? option to setup specific time or day to block access.
NOTE: To always block access, leave at default setting to Yes and proceed to step 15.
- Click the days for the Set Blocked Days option.
- Click the Save button. Settings will take effect immediately. The Parental Control > Managed Sites page will appear.
- The blocked services entry is displayed below the Blocked Services section. To add additional services to block, repeat steps 9 - 16.
NOTE 1: To remove a blocked services entry, click the X button next to the entry. On the pop-up message box, click the OK button.
NOTE 2: To bypass Parental Control, click the Yes button next to the client device to be a Trusted Computer.
- Close all web browsers that are open on the client devices, and then reopen them for the settings to take effect.