The SURFboard Central app guides the cable modem installation from unboxing the device to getting online with the Internet service provider. Product registration is automated for warranty coverage in the SURFboard Central App. The app has easy access to the user guide, specifications, and FAQs to help with any troubleshooting and optimizations. This document describes how to setup the SURFboard Central app with a cable modem.
The SURFboard Central app is available on both App Store and Google Play store at no charge
- SURFboard Cable modem with active Cable Internet Service (For new modems, the serial number and MAC address is required to active online or with the service provider).
- Wi-Fi enabled on iPhone or Android device (mobile or tablet) with Internet access.
SURFBoard Central App Setup
- Access the App Store or Google Play Store to search for SURFboard Central and download the app.
- Tap the SURFboard icon then tap the Get Started button. The mAX notifications pop-up will appear.
- It is required to enable Location Services in the SURFboard Central app to perform first-time setup installation. The steps and screens in iOS may vary from Android OS. For more information on the location services or change the Location Service in the mobile device settings, refer to article # 18476 - mAX Router: Location Services.
For iOS: Tap the Allow While Using the app button and then tap the Continue button.
Allow Once - Location services is enabled during this instance and will be asked again when the app is hard closed and reopened.
Allow While Using the app - Location services is enabled only when the app is in use.
For Android: Tap the Continue button. Tap the Allow button on the access device's location services and access photos, media, and files on your device message prompts. These permission are mandatory to perform first-time setup installation of the mAX router.
- Tap the SURFboard Modem ISP cable connected without Wi-Fi box, then tap the Next button.
- Tap the box for the model of the SURFboard cable modem to be installed, then tap the Next button.
- If this is a first-time setup tap the Sign Up button.
NOTE: If the mAX router was setup previously, enter the email address that was used to onboard the mAX router into the Email address field, then tap the Sign In button. Click here to proceed to step 10.
- Enter a new email address into the Email ID field for the SURFboard account.
- Enter a first name in the First Name field and enter a last name in the Last Name field.
- Tap the box for I agree to the Terms and Conditions, then tap the Sign Up button.
- A verification code email will be sent to the email used. Enter the verification code into the blank field.
NOTE: Tap the Resend link to resend the verification code email if not received.
- Once the code is verified, tap the Next button.
- Tap the Let's Start button.
- Remove the existing modem/gateway, connect the coaxial cable to the new SURFboard cable modem.
- Connect the power supply to the SURFboard cable modem and plug it into an outlet, then tap the Next button.
- Tap the box for the Internet Service Provider that is used, then tap the Next button.
NOTE: If the Internet Service Provider is not listed tap on Other.
- It is required to activate the SURFboard cable modem using the HFC MAC Address and the serial number located at the bottom of the device with the Internet service provider.
Contact Service Provider - Tap to call the Internet service provider and activate the SURFboard cable modem.
Self Activate - Tap to use the self activation steps and the Internet service provider's URL to activate the SURFboard modem.
Skip - Tap to proceed as the SURFboard cable modem has been activated.
NOTE: If this is the first time setup, the modem must be activated with the Internet service provider. The HFC MAC address is required when activating a new modem.
- Wait 5 - 10 minutes until the Online LED is solid blue or green, then tap the I'm Online button.
- Success, tap the Next button.
- Tap the Next button to scan the bar code on the bottom of the SURFboard cable modem.
- The application would like to access the camera, tap the OK button.
NOTE: To enter the SURFboard cable modem serial number and HFC MAC Address manually tap the Enter Manually link, then click here to proceed.
- SURFboard Central needs permission to access the mobile device's camera to scan the barcode.
For iOS: Tap the OK button to provide permission for SURFboard Central to access the camera.
For Android: Tap the Allow button to provide SURFboard Central access to take pictures and record video.
- Scan the S/N: located on the bottom device with the mobile device.
- The Serial No. scanned successfully, tap the OK button.
- Scan the HFC MAC ID: located on the bottom device with the mobile device.
- The S/N and the HFC MAC Address are populated, tap the Next button.
- The SURFboard cable modem is being registered for warranty coverage automatically.
- Congratulations, tap the Continue button.
- The Home screen displays the SURFboard cable modem, quick access to device details, specifications, user guide, and FAQs.