The SVG2482AC is capable of hiding the Wi-Fi network SSID. To connect to the hidden Wi-Fi network, the Wi-Fi SSID name and password must be manually entered in the Wi-Fi client. The Wi-Fi network is set to broadcast by default and the wireless clients are able to connect to it by selecting the Wi-Fi network SSID from the wireless network available list. This document describes how to hide the Wi-Fi network SSID from broadcasting.
CAUTION: Hiding the Wi-Fi network SSID should not be the only security method used. The Wi-Fi network should also be secured with encryption and a Wi-Fi password.
NOTE: When the SVG2482AC is configured to hide the Network SSID, the Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) feature is automatically disabled.
To Hide the Wi-Fi Network
- Launch a web browser, such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Safari. Enter http://10.0.0.1 into the address box, and press the Enter key. The Login page will appear.
- On the Login page, enter admin in the Username field.
- Enter password in the Password field then click the Login button. The Gateway > At a Glance page will appear.
NOTE: A prompt to change the password appears when the SVG2482AC is using the default password. To change the password click the OK button or click the Cancel button to bypass it.
- On the left-hand menu, click the Connection link and then click the Wi-Fi link on the sub-menu. The Gateway > Connection > Wi-Fi page will appear.
- On the Gateway > Connection > Wi-Fi page, click the Edit button for the 2.4GHz Frequency Band. The Gateway > Connection > Wi-Fi > Edit 2.4 GHz page will appear.
NOTE: The 5GHz frequency band is configured independently. To configure click the Edit button for the 5GHz Frequency Band.
- On the Gateway > Connection Wi-Fi > Edit 2.4 GHz page, uncheck the Enable option for Broadcast Network Name (SSID). The pop-up message box will appear.
- On the pop-up message box, click the OK button.
- Click the Save Settings button. The setting will take effect immediately.
NOTE: To hide the Wi-Fi network for the 5GHz Frequency band repeat steps 5 - 8.