The TG862 includes configuration options for the wireless LAN (WLAN). WPA (WiFi Protected Access) - PSK (Pre Shared Key) provides the best data protection and access control. The wireless network is enabled and uses WPA-PSK encryption by default.
This document describes how to configure the TG862 to use WPA-PSK encryption.
NOTE: Older wireless client cards may not support WPA or WPA2 encryption methods. If a wireless card is not compatible with WPA or WPA2, either the gateway will need to be configured to use WEP encryption, or the wireless card will need to be replaced with a newer card that is compatible with WPA or WPA2 encryption.
To Configure WPA-PSK
- Launch a web browser, such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Safari. Enter http://10.0.0.1 into the address box, and press the Enter key. The Login page appears.
NOTE: By default the LAN IP address is 10.0.0.1. If the default address has been changed, enter the custom address in the address box.
- On the Login page:
a. Enter admin in the Username field.
b. Enter password in the Password field.
c. Click the Login button. The Gateway > At a Glance page appears.
- In the left-hand menu, click on Gateway. A sub-menu appears.
- In the sub-menu, click on Connection. A second sub-menu appears.
- In the second sub-menu, click on WiFi. The Gateway > Connection > WiFi page appears.
- On the Gateway > Connection > WiFi page, click the Edit button. The Gateway > Connection > Wireless > Edit 2.4 GHz page appears.
- On the Gateway > Connection > Wireless > Edit 2.4 GHz page:
a. Network Name (SSID) - Enter the desired network name of choice, or leave at the current setting.
b. Security Mode - Click the drop-down menu, and select the desired setting.
NOTE 1: Select WPA-PSK for backward compatibility, WPA2-PSK for maximum security, or WPA2-PSK + WPA-PSK for maximum interoperability. In the example below, WPA2-PSK + WPA-PSK is selected.
NOTE 2: Select AES for maximum security, or TKIP+AES for maximum interoperability. In the example below, TKIP+AES is selected.
c. Channel Selection - Leave at default, which is Automatic.
d. Network Password - Enter the desired WPA key (wireless password) to use. The WPA key must be 8 - 63 characters.
e. Broadcast Network Name (SSID) - Leave this option checked.
f. Click the Save Settings button.
NOTE: A reboot of the unit is not required for changes to take effect.
The TG862G is now configured to allow wireless client connections using WPA-PSK encryption.
To make a connection, the wireless client must have WPA-PSK or WPA2-PSK encryption enabled and have the same WPA encryption key as the TG862G Gateway. For assistance with the wireless client: