By default, the TG862 operates as a gateway, and provides Internet access for multiple devices connecting to the TG862 gateway. When operating as a gateway, the TG862 serves as a modem and a router and keeps the devices in the Local Area Network (LAN) hidden. In certain situations, it may be desired to disable the router function of the TG862, and have it operate as a modem only. This can be accomplished by configuring the TG862 for Bridge Mode. When Bridge Mode is enabled, the router function is turned off and the device directly connected to the TG862 will receive the Public IP address from the Cable Provider. This document describes how to enable and disable Bridge Mode
Although the TG862 does not route traffic when Bridge Mode is enabled, it can still act as a firewall if the firewall settings in the TG862 are enabled.NOTE 2
: The Bridge Mode feature is not included with units that have been leased or purchased from Shaw communications.
This is an ideal setup when:
- Adding a firewall, router or another NAT device to manage the Local Area Network
- Hosting services or applications that can benefit from being directly accessible from the Internet
To Enable Bridge Mode
- Launch a web browser, such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Safari. Enter http://192.168.0.1 into the address box, and press the Enter key. The Login page appears.
NOTE: By default the LAN IP address is 192.168.0.1. If the default address has been changed, enter the custom address in the address box.
- On the Login page:
a. Enter admin in the Username field.
b. Enter password in the Password field.
c. Click the Login button. The System Basic Setup page appears.
- Click the LAN Setup tab on the top menu. The LAN Settings page appears.
- On the LAN Settings page:
a. NAT Mode - Click on the drop-down, and select Bridged.
b. Click the Apply button.
- Click the OK button when the following window appears: Restarting your router is recommended when NAT settings change. The TG862 will now restart.
To take the device out of bridge mode, follow the steps in reverse, or simply factory default the gateway. To log back into the gateway after it's configured in a bridge mode, manually configure an IP address of 192.168.0.2 and log into 192.168.0.1 for web interface access.
For instructions on how to manually configure an IP address in the client(s), please refer to:
See Answer # 20574 - Windows 7: TCP/IP Configuration.
See Answer # 20171 - Manual TCP/IP Configuration for Apple Operating Systems.
Be certain to have all of the account information available before setting the gateway back to factory default. Refer to Answer # 8805 - TG862G/NA: Factory Reset.