The WR2100’s function is to enhance and extend the wireless network coverage, range, and connectivity. It repeats the wireless signal from the wireless access point to all the other wireless devices. This improves the wireless experience for hard to reach wireless client and mobile devices.
The installation process consists of establishing a wireless connection between the WR2100 and the wireless access point (gateway or router).
Once the WR2100 is connected to the wireless access point, the WR2100 extends the wireless network by broadcasting the network name of the wireless access point.
The WR2100 can be installed by way of WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup) or manual installation methods. The WPS installation method consists of establishing wireless connection with a push of a button on both the WR2100 and the wireless access point. A manual install method consists of configuring a wireless connection in the WR2100's web manager and establishing a connection with the wireless access point. This document contains the following the following sections:
- A wireless access point (wireless gateway or wireless router) with Internet access.
- The wireless access point's type, security and encryption key, this can be found in the owner's manual of the wireless access point.
- Make sure the wireless access point is powered on and working properly.
- Plug the WR2100 into a power outlet near the wireless access point.
- Press the Power button on the bottom of the WR2100. The Power LED stays on for a few seconds then starts blinking. Wait till the Power LED becomes solid again to be ready for use.
- Connect an Ethernet cable from the WR2100 to a PC.
CAUTION: Do not connect a Ethernet cable from the WR2100 to the wireless access point.
- Launch a web browser, such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Safari. Enter http://www.mywifirepeater.net/ or http://192.168.0.254 into the address box and press the Enter key. The Login page appears.
- On the Login page:
a. Enter admin in the Username field.
b. Enter password in the Password field.
c. Press the Enter key. The ARRIS Setup page appears.
- On the ARRIS Setup page, click the Wireless from the left-hand menu. The Wireless page appears.
- On the Wireless page, click the Site Survey button. The Survey page appears.
- On the Survey page, a list of available wireless networks will appear. Select the corresponding SSID and click the Next button. The Security Setting page appears.
On the Security Setting page.
a. Security System - Choose None, WEP, WPA-PSK or WPA2-PSK. This security system must match the wireless encryption type of wireless access point.
b. PSK - Enter the wireless key of the wireless access point.
c. Encryption Key - Choose TKIP, AES, or TKIP/AES. This security system must match the wireless encryption type of wireless access point.
d. Click the Save button to establish wireless connection. The save setting confirmation pop-up window appears.
e. Click the OK
button on the pop-up window.
f. Click the Close button on the Site Survey window.
No additional configuration is needed for existing wireless clients that are connected to the wireless access point. The existing wireless client can connect to the WR2100 because the WR2100 broadcast the same wireless network of the wireless access point. The wireless client connects to the wireless network of the WR2100 or the wireless access point, depending on the strongest broadcasting signal.
New wireless clients will need to be connected to the wireless network of the wireless access point.
- When the Access Point/Repeater LED turns solid Green, the WR2100 is connected to the wireless access point.
NOTE: If the Access Point/Repeater LED is Off, the WPS connection is unsuccessful repeat steps 7 & 8.
- Move and plug the WR2100 into a power outlet near the center of the wireless coverage area (distance between the wireless access point and the wireless clients).
- Check the color on the Access Point/Repeater LED to verify the connection status.
- Solid Green - Access Point connection is available and the signal strength is good.
- Solid Amber - The signal strength is normal.
- Solid Red - The signal strength is poor, move the WR2100 closer to the wireless access point until the LED is solid Amber or Green.
- Please refer to the owner's documentation to locate the wireless network name and wireless security key of the wireless access point.
- Configure the wireless network and wireless security key on the wireless client.
If the new wireless client supports WPS and is near the WR2100, the wireless connection can be established by WPS push-button.
- Press and hold the WPS button on the WR2100 and then release the WPS button after 3 seconds. The WPS LED will blink for 2 minutes.
- Press the WPS button on the wireless client. The WPS exchange and the WPS LED may blink up to 2 minutes.
- Wait till the WPS LEDs is solid on both the WR2100 and the wireless client.
- The Repeater/Client LED become solid Green when the wireless client is connected to the wireless network.
NOTE: If the Repeater/Client LED is Off, the WPS connection is unsuccessful repeat steps 1 - 3.