When installing a new cable modem for the first time, it is required to activate the cable modem for Internet access. This document contains the follow sections:
Locate the required information to activate XFINITY Internet service online:
Prior to Installation
NOTE: If you do not have this information, please contact XFINITY support for further assistance.Installation
- Xfinity user ID or email address.
- Xfinity password associated with the user ID/email.
- Use an Ethernet cable directly connected from a computer to the cable modem instead of wireless to reduce possible issues when testing for successful activation.
NOTE: If the computer does not support Ethernet connection, wireless client can be used to test activation.
- Check and hand tighten the coax cable to the cable connector on the modem.
- Plug the power cord from the modem to the electrical outlet.
- Allow the modem to power on and perform it's boot sequence. The modem may reboot a few times during this process.
- Activation can occur when there is a solid green Internet LED on the modem.
If issues arise when activating the modem on the self-activation site, call Xfinity customer support for further assistance and provide the following information:
- On your mobile device, download the Xfinity app on the App store or on Google Play™. If you already have the Xfinity app, make sure you have updated to the latest version.
- Open the app and sign in with your Xfinity ID.
- Follow the steps to get online.
- The front LEDs will be solid when it has reached this state. The modem may reboot a few times during the activation process, which is normal.
- Activation is complete when there is a solid green Internet LED. It may take up to 10 minutes before you can connect to the Internet.
- Test the Internet connection by rebooting the computer and browse to https://www.surfboard.com.
- Modem Manufacturer
- Model Number
- Serial Number
- HFC MAC Address
- EMTA MAC Address (applicable for voice service)