When installing a new cable modem for the first time, it is required to activate the cable modem for Internet access. This document contains the follow sections:
Prior to Installation
- Locate the required information to activate XFINITY Internet service online:
- Xfinity Account Number
- Phone Number (associated with Xfinity account)
NOTE: The Xfinity account number can be found on your billing statement, via the Xfinity app or the work order for the service you requested from Xfinity. In addition, if you have previously created a Xfinity account, the username or email and password can be used for the product activation.
- Turn off and unplug all existing routers and modems.
- Launch a browser such as Internet Explorer, Chrome, or Safari, and clear the browser cache.
NOTE: For assistance with clearing browser cache, refer to the links below:
- Restart the computer that will be used to activate the device.
- Use an Ethernet cable directly connected from a computer to the cable modem instead of wireless to reduce activation issues.
NOTE: If the computer does not support Ethernet connection, wireless client can be used for activation.
- Check and hand tighten the coax cable to the cable connector on the modem.
- Plug the power cord from the modem to the electrical outlet.
- Allow the modem to power on and perform it's boot sequence. The modem may reboot a few times during this process.
- Activation can occur when there is a solid green Internet LED on the modem.
If a wireless computer is used for activation, it may briefly lose wireless connection and will need to reconnect to the wireless network. It is recommended to turn off the wireless setting and then on again in order to refresh the list of available wireless networks.
- Launch a browser such as Internet Explorer, Chrome, or Safari. Enter www.Xfinity.com/internetsetup and press Enter key to access the self-activation page.
NOTE: If the activation page does not load, make sure the client device's TCP/IP configuration is set to obtain DNS server address automatically. For assistance with TCP/IP configuration refer to the links below:
- Under "Activation", click on the appropriate activation URL register.xfinity.com. Enter your Xfinity Account Number and phone number associated with the Xfinity account. If you have previously created an online account you can use your username or email address and your password to proceed with the activation steps.
- Follow the prompts and allow the modem to power on completely. The front LEDs will be solid when it has reached this state. The modem may reboot a few times during the activation process, which is normal.
- Activation is complete when there is a solid green Internet LED.
If issues arise when activating the modem on the self-activation site, call Xfinity customer support for further assistance and provide the following information:
- Modem Manufacturer
- Model Number
- Serial Number
- HFC MAC Address
- EMTA MAC Address (applicable for voice service)