When setting up the mAX Router for the first time, the ARRIS SURFboard mAX™ Manager app makes configuring the Wi-Fi network easy. The mAX Router does not have a Web Manager to setup and configure the router. The ARRIS SURFboard mAX™ Manager app connects to the mAX Router to perform onboarding setup of the router.
To use the mAX Router as the primary Wi-Fi router and firewall, the U-Verse gateway needs to be setup for IP Passthrough. The IP Passthrough feature allows the mAX Router to have the Gateway's public address assigned to it. Client devices can connect to the U-verse gateway, but recommended to move all clients devices to the mAX Router. This document contains the following sections:
The ARRIS SURFboard mAX™ Manager app is available at both App Store and Google Play store at no charge.
NOTE: Prior to onboarding the mAX Router. If a firewall is set up the rules MUST allow for ping requests to go out to the Internet. Additionally, the ping replies must also be allowed into the Home network. Please check with the router manufacturer for assistance.
- Active U-Verse Internet Service Only (no TV).
- U-Verse gateway.
- Configure U-Verse gateway for IP Passthrough.
- The ARRIS SURFboard mAX™ Manager app downloaded onto mobile device.
- Cellular or Hotspot connection on mobile device.
- Enable Bluetooth on mobile device.
- Power ON only 1 mAX Router during setup.
Before the Installation
Verify that the following items were included with the ARRIS mAX Router. The mAX Router, power supply and Ethernet cable are necessary to perform the installation.
NOTE: The quick start guide and warranty card can be downloaded from www.arris.com/consumers.App Connection Setup
- mAX Pro Mesh Wi-Fi Router
- Power Adapter
- Ethernet Cable (Cat 5e)
- End User License Agreement
U-Verse Gateway IP Passthrough Setup
- Access the App or Google Play Store to search for ARRIS SURFboard mAX Manager and download the app.
- Tap the SURFboard mAX icon.
- The mAX notifications pop-up window will appear. Tap the Don't Allow or Allow button for the mAX Router to send notifications to the mobile device.
- Enter a email address in the Email field and tap the Continue button.
NOTE: If an existing ARRIS account is present, click here proceed to step 10.
- Enter the first name in the First Name field and last name in the Last Name field.
- Check mark the box to agree to the Terms then tap the Continue button.
- Confirm the information is correct on the Verify Information pop-up window,then tap the Yes, all correct. button.
NOTE: To make edits tap the Edit E-mail Address or Edit Name button.
- The ARRIS mAX Loading pop-up window will appear.
- A verification code email will be sent to the email address used. Check the email then tap the Got my code. I'm ready button.
NOTE: Tap the Nothing yet button to resend the verification code email if not received.
- Enter the verification code from the email.
- The Success! screen will appear.
- Unpack a router, and tap the OK, I'm ready button.
- On the About Home Network screen, tap the Gateway with integrated Wi-Fi option.
- For this setup the mAX Router will be connected to the existing U-verse Gateway. Tap the Continue button.
- Unplug the power from the U-verse gateway, then tap the OK, got it button.
- Plug one end of the Ethernet cable into the port labeled WAN in yellow on the bottom of the mAX Router.
- Plug the other end of the Ethernet cable into the U-verse gateway, then tap the Connected. Next button.
- Plug the U-verse gateway and the the mAX Router into the power outlet.
NOTE: The LED ring will change from amber to solid with a quick blue flash when ready to connect to the app.
- Verify the U-verse Broadband/Service LED is solid green, then tap the Okay, I'm done button.
- Confirm the current setup summary and tap the OK button.
- Enable Bluetooth on the mobile device if not enabled already.
- The mAX Router will search for the mAX device in the Bluetooth settings on the mobile device.
- The ARRIS SURFboard mAX™ Manager app successfully discovered the mAX router.
- Bluetooth pairing is successful. Tap the So far, so good! Next step button.
- The mAX Router is connecting to the Internet.
- The mAX Router is connected to the Internet now.
- The mAX Router is checking for any new updates.
- The mAX Router is downloading the new updates. If there are new updates the process will take a few minutes.
- One the update download is completed, tap the OK, Next button.
- The mAX Router is back online, tap the Continue button.
- The mAX Router will register the device to ensure the features stay up to date.
- To setup the Wi-Fi network, tap the Continue button.
- Tap the icon to name the router or manually enter the name in the or name it yourself field.
- The Family room option was selected and the name is auto populated. Tap the OK, next button.
- Enter a new wireless network name in the Choose network name (SSID) field. The SSID characters must be alphanumeric (letters and numbers) between 1 to 32 characters long.
CAUTION: Special characters (such as $, !, ?, &, #, @, and others) are not to be used to create the network name (SSID).
- Enter a new wireless password in the Choose password field. The password needs to be 8 to 64 characters long. Use upper and lower case letters, numbers, and symbols for strength.
- Tap the Create network button.
- The mAX Router is creating the Wi-Fi network.
NOTE: Android devices allows the app to automatically connect to a Wi-Fi network.
- The mobile device will need to connect to the created mAX Wi-Fi network. Once connected to the mAX Wi-Fi network tap I connected to the mAX Wi-Fi network button.
NOTE: iOS devices will not automatically connect to the Wi-Fi.
- The ARRIS mAX Connecting pop-up window will appear.
- The mAX Router is done and connected.
- To setup the satellite mAX unit tap the Let's do it! button or to setup later tap the I'll do it later button (i.e the I'll do it later button was tapped).
NOTE: To add another mAX Router please refer to article # 17950 - mAX (W30/W31): Add additional mAX Satellite Setup.
- The mAX Router is all done and ready to use. Tap the Finish button.
- The mAX home screen displays the network speed and connected devices.
- To setup the U-verse Gateway for IP Passthrough click here.
- Launch a web browser using the same mobile device. Enter http://192.168.1.254 into the address box, and press the Enter key. The Status page will appear.
- Click the Firewall link from the top menu, then click the IP Passthrough sub-menu link. The IP Passthrough page will appear.
NOTE: If the Access Code Required page appears, enter the Device Access Code printed on the label on the side of the gateway and click the Continue button.
- Click the Allocation Mode drop-down tab and select Passthrough.
- Click the Passthrough Mode drop-down tab and select DHCPS-fixed.
- Click the Passthrough Fixed MAC Address drop-down tab and select the mAX Router's WAN MAC ID which populates in the Manual Entry box after selection.
NOTE: The WAN MAC ID last digit will be off by one number (e.g the last digit for this MAC Address 6c:ca:08:7b:53:b7, but the mAX Router label shows the MAC address 6c:ca:08:7b:53:b8).
- Click the Save button, then click the restart link above the IP Passthrough heading.
- The U-verse gateway is restarting and will be unresponsive for two minutes. After two minutes the Device Status page will appear.
- Verify that the U-verse Broadband/Service LED is solid green then power cycle the mAX Router.
- Verify that the mAX ring LED is solid blue, then remove all client devices from the U-verse gateway and connect them to the mAX Router.