When setting up the mAX Router for the first time, the ARRIS SURFboard mAX™ Manager app makes configuring the Wi-Fi network easy. The mAX does not have a Web Manager to setup and configure the router. The ARRIS SURFboard mAX Manager app connects to the mAX router to perform onboarding setup of the router. The mAX router replaces the existing router in the home network that's connected to the Wi-Fi Cable modem. This document describes how to connect the ARRIS SURFboard mAX Manager app to setup the mAX router behind a Wi-Fi Cable modem.
The ARRIS SURFboard mAX™ Manager app is available on both the App Store and Google Play store at no charge.
NOTE: Prior to onboarding the mAX router. If a firewall is set up the rules MUST allow for ping requests to go out to the Internet. Additionally, the ping replies must also be allowed into the Home network. Please check with the router manufacturer for assistance.
App Connection Setup
- Active Cable Internet Service.
- Wi-Fi Cable Modem (Gateway).
- The ARRIS SURFboard mAX™ Manager app downloaded onto mobile device.
- Cellular or Hotspot connection on mobile device.
- Enable Bluetooth on mobile device.
- Power ON only 1 mAX router during setup.
- Access the App Store or Google Play Store to search for ARRIS SURFboard mAX Manager and download the app.
- Tap the SURFboard mAX icon.
- The mAX notifications pop-up window will appear. Tap the Don't Allow or Allow button for the mAX router to send notifications to the mobile device.
- Enter a email address in the Email field and tap the Continue button.
NOTE: If an existing ARRIS account is present, click here proceed to step 10.
- Enter the first name in the First Name field and last name in the Last Name field.
- Check mark the box to agree to the Terms then tap the Create account button.
- Confirm the information is correct on the Verify Information pop-up window, then tap the Yes, all correct button.
NOTE: To make edits tap the Edit E-mail Address or Edit Name button.
- The ARRIS mAX Loading pop-up window will appear.
- A verification code email will be sent to the email address used. Check the email then tap the Got my code. I'm ready button.
NOTE: Tap the Nothing yet button to resend the verification code email if not received.
- Enter the verification code from the email.
- The Success! screen will appear.
- Unpack one of the routers, and tap the Continue button.
- On the About Home Network screen, tap the Gateway with integrated Wi-Fi option.
- Tap the Continue button. For this setup, keep the Gateway with integrated Wi-Fi as-is and set to bridge mode after onboarding is complete.
- Unplug the power from the Gateway with integrated Wi-Fi.
- Tap the Continue button.
- Plug one end of the Ethernet cable into the port labeled WAN in yellow on the bottom of the mAX router.
- Plug the other end of the Ethernet cable into the gateway, then tap the Continue button.
- Plug the gateway and then the mAX router into the power outlet.
NOTE: The LED ring will change from amber to solid white with a quick blue flash when ready to connect to the app.
- When the LED ring alternates flashing blue and white, tap the Continue button.
- Confirm the current setup summary and tap the OK button.
- Enable Bluetooth on the mobile device if not enabled already.
- The SURFboard mAX Manager app will search for the mAX router.
- The SURFboard mAX Manager app attempts to connect to the mAX router via Bluetooth.
- This screen is displayed when the Bluetooth pairing process is successful. Tap the Continue button.
- The mAX router is attempting to connect to the Internet.
- The mAX router is connected to the Internet now.
- The mAX router is checking for any new updates.
- The mAX router starts downloading the new Firmware. If there are new updates the process will take a few minutes.
- Once the new firmware download is completed, tap the Continue button.
- The mAX router is back online, tap the Continue button.
- The mAX router will register the device to ensure the features stay up to date.
- To setup the Wi-Fi network, tap the Continue button.
- Tap the icon to name the router or manually enter the name in the or name it yourself field.
- The Family room option was selected and the name is auto populated. Tap the OK, next button.
- Enter a new wireless network name in the Choose network name (SSID) field. The SSID characters must be alphanumeric (letters and numbers) between 1 to 32 characters long.
CAUTION: Special characters (such as $, !, ?, &, #, @, and others) are not to be used to create the network name (SSID).
- Enter a new wireless password in the Choose password field. The password needs to be 8 to 64 characters long. Use upper and lower case letters, numbers, and symbols for strength.
- Tap the Create network button.
- The mAX router is creating the wireless network.
NOTE: Android devices automatically connect to the mAX Wi-Fi network.
- The mobile device will need to connect to the newly created mAX Wi-Fi network. Once connected to the mAX Wi-Fi network tap I connected to the mAX Wi-Fi network button.
NOTE: iOS devices will not automatically connect to the Wi-Fi.
- The ARRIS mAX Connecting pop-up window will appear.
- The mAX router is setup and connected.
- To setup the satellite mAX unit tap the Let's do it! button or to setup later tap the I'll do it later button (i.e the I'll do it later button was tapped).
NOTE: To add another mAX router please refer to article #17950 - mAX (W30/W31): Add additional mAX Satellite Setup.
- The mAX router is all done and ready to use. Tap the Finish button.
- The mAX home screen displays the network speed and connected devices.
- Remove all client devices from the existing router and connect them to the mAX router.
- It is recommended to configure the gateway into bridge mode. After setting up the mAX network, be sure to disable the Wi-Fi radios and configure the Gateway into bridge mode to avoid any network conflicts. Refer to the gateway's manufacturer for assistance.